Reading somewhere.

I pictured my life at age 26 when I was 16. That was my cool age. I pictured that as the age where I would be set. I would be happy in my career and know where my future was headed.

Not the case.

This week everything was stripped from me. The things in my life that I had worked so hard for now are nonexistent. It's kind of like the feeling when you can't see any of your accomplishments anymore. Every little penny you earned suddenly doesn't matter as much. You are strapped.

I remember reading some blog, it was a Q&A entry about this woman's life after working for an advertising agency. After staying with the company for about three years, she moved away with her fiance to Tennessee. She started interning for the zoo, of all places. She recalled her time spent with the agency and then her life now. It made the zoo seem like a vacation. From advertising to sea lions. The way she spoke you could tell she was truly following her passion for animals.

As I read this entry, I was working for the same company, not the zoo though it felt like one. For a split second, I thought about working as a sea lion volunteer. That's not for me, but in that second I saw my self much happier than I thought I would be at the advertising firm.

That's when God made the switch for me and had a blond fire me.

One thing that will always stick with me is when she said that we aren't married yet after working their for three weeks. Now that I think about it -- should we want to be married to our job? Are we supposed to get that sort of fulfillment from our occupation?

So now I'm unemployed. This is usually that time where most people have that AH HA! moment and follow their passion to own their own business or they go to Barnes and Noble and read about people who did until they find a new job and settle.

You get a lot of advice when you are not working. You also come up with a lot of unemployment jokes too. It's the advice that is hard to take. You start to feel like advice is the only way people think they can help you. A lot of them even act like you have no clue what to do and they look at you like you are lost.

That's when you consult an unemployed friend. At this point, the jobless are leading the jobless, like the blind are leading the blind. They know what you are going through and can be cynical with you. And it's OK to be a little cynical -- just don't let that define you.

Bad things usually lead to greater things and I'm counting on that.

Comments

Unknown said…
I really like your blog, it looks very nice, I'm happy to visit again to see your blog because it's very good indeed, thank's for all. Regards, enterprise risk management certification really hope to be your friends