Those things

NPR has been my conversational rock lately. My iPod connector broke earlier this week and it made me consider another form of entertainment. I miss music but I haven't given it up. I'm getting off topic...

I always listen to NPR whenever I am in the car driving to a client meeting. My driving to meetings are few and far between but I always tune in around these times. I miss the news and rarely get a chance to catch up. However the best part about NPR is not the news but the conversation that arrives after the news.

Two days ago I took a detour back to Lafayette from Breaux Bridge. At the exact moment that I was sure I wasn't in Louisiana, I really got into what I was listening to on NPR. An Ex-pastor of a Christian church was on the air talking about her newly found disbelief of religion. After years of preaching and bringing people to God, she couldn't deny what she was feeling. She took a step back and realized that she needed to be open with herself. She resigned from her position and sought truth. She sought her own truth.

During this time, I couldn't turn away from this topic. Controversial topics fascinate me, though I am only a listener, not ever a part of the debates. Of the many questions the ex-pastor was asked, she was asked what she missed the most about religion and she replied "the people". I don't think she meant all Christians but I think she meant a group of people in church that become her friends.

I stayed tuned in long enough to listen to three callers talk about their own struggles with religion. Most were atheists too. Two male callers started their lives as Christians, then did research and said they decided to leave their religion. I heard them discuss a lot of flaws in religion.

I felt for them but not because I want them to be like me but because I hate that we look at people differently for what they believe. If only we all would live in a place of acceptance and tolerance. And also a place of respect.

Respect for all beliefs that do no harm.

Comments