Sometimes I see it.

I am amazed at the fact that I still consider myself a journalist. I pinned myself with that tag when I first started reporting six years ago. I was taught never to be bias. State the facts. Show don't tell and always ask why.

After a year of marketing, I want out. I'm not good at marketing. I actually suck at truly marketing and the lingo.

I still call myself a journalist.

I think even if I was in marketing for 20 years, I would still call myself a journalist. But I'm totally wrong.

I'm not a journalist.

I left journalism almost a year ago and now I am finding myself clawing at the bits to get it back.

One of the most revealing times in my life was when I interviewed for a pr/ marketing position. I wanted out of being a copy editor and working holidays. But the strangest part was when I was faced with a pr princess that would've been my boss. All I could talk about was news, writing and designing.

I'm the type of person who knew what they wanted to do at a young age. I was meant to write and report and capture the attention of the world with my words (whether it be headlines or writing). I think in that sense of knowing my path, I began to doubt it.

So now I'm in marketing eagerly straying from my day job to fall for something that I used to know.

My passion is hunting me down and won't stop until it finds me.

I watch a video from the Dallas morning news today and it really spoke to me. One thing:
"I love to explain, entertain, irritate and explore."

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20120723-journalism-lives.ece

Comments