Hairy penguins

I saw one last night for the first time. I think it was the first time. It was on the New Yorker's Instagram.

The post reads:
This is New York City based photographer, Peter Fisher (@pet__fish). This week, I’m sharing images from my most recent expedition to South Georgia Island. Often referred to as the “Serengeti of the Southern Ocean.” SGI, one of the most remote and unforgiving islands on the planet, is a #biodiversity hotspot situated just south of the Antarctic convergence. To create these photos, I used a #mediumformat camera in order to capture an intimate portrait of the island and its inhabitants.

Remote. And. Unforgiving.

Is that why they need fur?

Either way.

Time to start blogging again in hopes of recharging my thoughts.

Tonight was support group night. Support Group is a with a group of people who are dealing with a tough situation and they need support. It seems obvious, but what is often never obvious in this group is the fact these people need support.

There is the one woman who regularly attends and it seems like she knows all the answers. I always find myself wondering why this woman comes to group because she usually has an answer for question other members have while in session. What does she get out of it? She brings knowledge to the group but, really, what does she get out of it?

I still don't know.

She often brings with her who I have come to call her "fairy godmothers."
Back up.

What is a fairy godmother?
               A fairy godmother is someone who I have wanted in my life since I was young and blonde. NOT some one to pick me up when I couldn't go to a ball or someone to put me in a dress. BUT someone who has all the answers. Someone who has been there and done that. Someone who knows that in the end, everything will be OK.

I call these two ladies fairy godmothers because they are uplifting and thoughtful. The woman does pay them to help her but I think the support is more for her than for them caring for her loved one. These three ladies need each other.

While I almost never remember what these fairy godmothers say, I always find myself remembering how they make me feel. Support group is difficult sometimes. I find myself wondering how all these brave people push on. How do they make it through, when they are dealing with this?

It's interesting because support group is my job. I find speakers and provide support for these members. Some attend regularly and some show up when the topic is good. I never thought I would find myself feeling supported in a group that is supposed to be a Caregivers Memory Loss Support Group. And also meet someone else's fairy godmothers.


Comments